Thursday, November 26, 2015

Lying to the press

The top editor at the newspaper where I work told me that one of my headlines was his "second-least-favorite in the paper last week."

Admittedly, the headline sucked. It was: "Avian flu flies the coop, but industry still lays an egg."

Bad. I laid an egg.

The poorness of my performance paled, however, when the newspaper suffered an even bigger embarrassment. We ran a huge front page story Sunday about a former state trooper (22 years, he said) who came forward to share his shocking tale of being a heroin addict. Turned out he wasn't a former state trooper. He was barely even a former cop: Eight months on the South Paris police force. Part time.

My suggested headline:

'Trooper' lies
to reporter;
newspaper
lays big egg

The good news about the story, and I am positively giddy about this, is that I had absolutely NOTHING to do with it! Usually when something goes wrong, my fingerprints turn up somewhere in the history. Not this time.

(I remain, of course, intensely curious about what his first-least-favorite headline was.)




No comments:

Post a Comment